Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Good Girlfriends

Good girlfriends are hard to find.  As I sat having coffee with one of my good girlfriends this morning God reminded me that we are not meant to journey this road alone, but we also don't have to journey this road with a group the size of a football team.  Proverbs 18:24 says, A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. 

When I was young I found value in the size of my friend circle, in this season of life I am finding value in a few close good girlfriends.  Girlfriends that I can be real with and not worry that what we shared over a cup of coffee will become the latest gossip.  Girlfriends who cry with me, laugh me and don't judge me or compare.  Girlfriends who genuinely care about my well being and the well being of my family.


In scriptures we read about Job who faced great trial and tribulation.  Do you know that Job was comforted by good friends?  Job 2:11-13, Now when Job's three friends heard of all this evil that had come upon him, they came each from his own place, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite. They made an appointment together to come to show him sympathy and comfort him. And when they saw him from a distance, they did not recognize him. And they raised their voices and wept, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads toward heaven. And they sat with him on the ground seven days and seven nights, and no one spoke a word to him, for they saw that his suffering was very great.    


They sat with him 7 days and 7 nights and spoke nothing.  Do you have a friend like that?  A friend who is content with just sitting with you and not speaking.  Who waits for you to share your hurt and pain?  And if you can't speak or don't want to share the details is just there?  A friend that you can openly share without fear of judgement or becoming the local gossip?

In the day of Facebook and Twitter we can be connected to many but not truly connected to any.  I challenge you to meet regularly with a few good girlfriends, it is better for your soul than you may realize. 


No comments:

Post a Comment