Monday, August 25, 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

I've been thinking a lot about this whole ALS Ice Bucket Challenge this weekend as I was nominated by 2 friends. I've seen lots of friends and family posting videos of themselves dumping water on their heads over the last few weeks and I've read several articles other friends have posted saying why they won't participate.

I struggle when I read articles that say that we shouldn't do the challenge because we are wasting water when the majority of the world doesn't have access to clean water. In reality we waste considerably more water every day when brushing our teeth or taking a bath. If you visit your local pool you are swimming in 40,000+ gallons of water. I mean I could make the argument that eating meat is actually contributing to lack of water globally as the heaviest water usage is for animals we raise for meat. Not to mention that that the amount of grain produced globally is enough to feed to the world twice over, but 70% of grain is fed to livestock. Who eats that meat? Let me assure you the same people that are lacking clean water are also lacking food. 

I've also struggled reading articles that say that we shouldn't support ALS research as they support abortion yet they fail to acknowledge that the majority of embryonic stem cell research comes from IVF eggs that are being discarded. I suppose solely discussing abortion tugs at the heart strings more than discussing IVF eggs. Truly if we recognize that IVF eggs are also considered life it becomes a much bigger social issue. An issue that many have not thought about before. I'm not sure I've ever heard the church compare IVF eggs to abortion, yet if you believe that life occurs at the moment of conception what is the difference? Truly IVF is just more socially accepted in Christian circles than abortion. 

Please don't read this me as not valuing human life because I most certainly do. I believe that every life is sacred and created by God. I believe the Word when it says God knew us before He formed us in the womb. My frustration with all of this isn't to debate the sanctity of life, it is a frustration with an American lifestyle at the expense of others on a daily basis, it is just easier to take a stance when it doesn't cost us a convenience we have grown so much to love.  

It means that I am just as guilty if I share these articles from my iPhone or iPad that was created at the expense of someone else's life. Did you know people were committing suicide because their lives were so bad and work conditions so horrific working in factories making these Apple products that death was a better alternative? Some people have even died after being forced to work 30+ hours straight just to get the new product out fast enough because the demand is so great.  

I could even go as far as to make the argument that no Christian should watch or participate in sports, as large scale events such as the Super Bowl draw in Sex Trafficking.  If we are talking about the sanctity of life if only one person is violated it is a problem and as Christians we should value that life.  

Walt Disney? Starbucks? Pepsi? Nestle? Coke? Hobby Lobby? Vaccinations? This list could go on and could include so much more.  And I'll be willing to bet you don't know why I listed all of these...and if you don't you are like millions of others who go through life with blinders on because we are a comfortable people.   Being comfortable is ok until it takes away dependence on God and comes at the cost the comfort, or in some cases the life of, a brother or sister.

I don't blog this because I have the answers or out of judgement, I'm just as guilty as the next, I blog this because the world we live in is sinful and fallen.  Working in social services for the last 2.5 years has opened my eyes to so many social injustices right here in my own community.  It is overwhelming for me to navigate it all...but it is assuring for me to know that my Jesus has overcome the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment